Thursday, April 14, 2011

Christopher's

I know, I know, I am a serious slacker these days....even with all my free time I've had lately. The reason I haven't been actively updating this blog is two-fold. First of all, I honestly haven't been anywhere new lately. I've been trying not to go out to eat as much. And the reason being the second part of my excuse, I've been writing bakery reviews for another website, Examiner.com. My money and my stomach have been committed to something other than a complete meal since I started writing at the end of last month. I've reviewed five bakeries so far and I'm enjoying it. As a baker, I enjoy seeing how different people interpret the classics and also how they translate themselves into their building decor. This experience has been so far very educational for me because I would like to open my own bakery one day, possibly even in this area. Exploring all the bakeries and their products allows me to essentially see who my competition will be.

However, with all that being said, I do have one new restaurant I visited that I would love to tell you about. With my birthday being last week, I was treated to a very delicious dinner at a place I have never even seen, let alone heard of. It's a place in Beaverdale called Christopher's and I highly recommend trying it out. The food was delicious. We arrived at about 8:30 on a Thursday night and were seated in the dining area that was quite full considering the time. I ordered the steak de burgo with mashed potatoes and a side salad. While we waited, we also enjoyed the bruschetta. It was good but not at all what I was expecting. The bread was cut quite thick and was not at all crunchy but the topping was very good (with melted fresh mozz) and they even provided a garlic oil dip. The side salad was good but the house italian dressing was much too thick, resembling and tasting too much like mayonnaise. The fresh bread was superb with a spread of butter or the above mentioned garlic oil. When my meal arrived I was hesitant as the size seemed quite small to me. However, after eating about half of it, I realized it was plenty. The meat was not melt in your mouth tender but still very delicious. The garlic herb sauce on top permeated through the meat and gave it so much more flavor. The mashed potatoes were only lukewarm and not flavorful at all.

Overall the food could definitely be improved in some aspects (mashed potatoes, bruschetta & italian dressing), I left overall pleased with the restaurant's service and would give it another shot in the near future. Prices are more than average but for a special occasion, I think it's worth the extra money.

1 comment:

Shawna Meyer said...

Robert used to work there.