Sunday, February 6, 2011

Red Rossa Napoli Pizza

I recently heard about Gusto Pizza Co. opening it's doors and it got me thinking....what other pizza places are there around here (and I'm not talking about Pizza Hut or Papa Murphy's)? I went to the Metromix website and searched under restaurants by cuisine and sure enough, pizza is apparently its own cuisine! I wanted something in the Clive area, as that was where I was spending the day, and had it narrowed down to two places: Red Rossa Napoli Pizza or Paradise Pizza Cafe. I chose the first one purely based on proximity and went later in the day, right about 1pm. It's off of University across the street from Granite City Brewery (on the East side). Three tables were occupied and no line was awaiting us, so we were able to order right away. I got the Napoli pizza with a small garden salad. After grabbing a beverage and choosing a table, the salad was brought out instantly. While I was disappointed with the overall flavor of the salad (i.e. dressing), I reminded myself that I didn't come here for the salads. The pizza arrived about halfway through my salad and looked delicious. I couldn't even wait for it to cool before I bit right into a hot pepperoni that slid off the pizza and onto my lip. Definitely worth it. The sauce is sweet but pleasant and the banana peppers were the perfect touch to the rest of the ingredients. I had no problem eating piece after piece until alas, the plate was empty. I even said out loud "did I just eat a whole pizza?" Turns out the person I had come with had eaten two of the pieces, so I didn't feel quite as bad. This is a restaurant I will definitely be going back to again. The decor is really inviting and the super thin/ crispy crust cooked at a high heat in a wood burning oven is what sets it apart from the rest. I vote they open more of these around Iowa instead of just the one out in Clive.


No comments: